Monday, October 17, 2011

Excel Basics

What did I do?
We were to open up excel, install the data tool pack, and then replace the data using specific numbers or codes to make it easier to see data.  I chose to focus on the number of discussion posts.  I did find it was a little skewed due to there being many more women in the class than there are men.  Otherwise, it is interesting to see.  I also tested the scores from the "fake quiz" with men vs. women.  Or 1 vs. 2.  After replacing numbers we were to blog about it.

What did I learn?
I know excel and luckily found it very handy during my wedding planning.  I used it for addresses, replies, food, money, you name it!  I had a bunch of spread sheets going.  I did not learn anything new from excel but I did learn the differences in statistics with our class.

How can I use it?
I use excel mostly for personal reasons, but I could take test scores, reading levels, and writing abilities and figure out averages or commonalities between girls and boys strengths.  I could also just see how the class is functioning in a whole.  Luckily we have a program at my school called OASIS that does all of that for you when you put your grades in.

How does it relate to the ISTE NETS T Standards?
evaluate and reflect on current research and professional practice on a regular basis to make effective use of existing and emerging digital tools and resources in support of student learning.


This the perfect way to show that using excel will benefit your personal growth and the childrens.  It can show where you need to reteach certain things or also praise the children for their hard work!

No comments:

Post a Comment