Monday, September 5, 2011

Jing Screencast

Here is my tutorial for parents on how to look up books within their child's personal Accelerated Reader Level:

http://screencast.com/t/dHnmEfVCJ

Which I did with the help of Jing.

For this activity we were to create a video that can help show parents, students, or colleagues a new task or something they have never done before.  We then were to record it and post it to the jing screencast so others could access it.

I learned a lot from this activity.  I must say for as easy it was to do, by far I have learned the most from this activity than any others in the class yet.  I hope it continues to get better from here because this class is teaching a technology queen (self-proclaimed) as myself many new tricks.  I am most excited about using this one with our tech lab teacher so that I can help show the kids how to complete tasks.  I learned that it is easy to teach an old dog (myself) new tricks to many new dogs (the students or parents).  I added my voice to it, because like our students, all parents learn differently.  Therefore it helps the visual and auditory parents accomplish the task.

I can use this in many aspects inside and outside the classroom.  Inside the classroom, this is a great tool to help parents who have questions with any homework.  You could easily them the link on how to help their child and themselves.  Within the classroom, you could show the students how to do something before you even step foot in the computer/tech lab so that way they use their time much more wisely since time is limited within the teach lab.  It would help eliminate many questions.  Rather than repeating the same questions, you could just click play again and show them what to do.  Personally, I could also help my Mother out who lives in Cleveland.  She is new to Mac and I would be able to help show her how to do it visually rather than over the phone.

The ISTE NETS T Standard the Jing Screencast applies to is:


This applies because, as a teacher, you are demonstrating to the parents or students on how to complete a task, therefore becoming fluent.  It also is transferring current knowledge of the use of computers into the new situation of a new website.  Overall, with this you are helping aide the parents to become more aware of the happenings within your classroom and also the expectations.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Jing! May I share your blog entry on my public library's children's page to assist the self-help parents?

    ReplyDelete