Friday, September 9, 2011

BenderConverter

For this activity we were asked to used two things to complete our task.  The first being using www.google.com or Google Docs/Presentations.  Within the Google docs were to paste and convert a video from off the web using any converting site.  For me, I had difficulty using the site our Professor asked us to use so with his permission I started to hunt for my own converting site.  First, I used the applications Mac Computers have to offer and downloaded a free App simply called "Smart Converter".  It really was simple with a drop and drag directions.  I then wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing so I used http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/ or Any Video Converter.  After downloading the software I did not find it as easy to use as the free app I downloaded off of my computer.  Needless to say, I converted my video from youtube and saved it as video into my itunes library but Any Video Converter also saves it within it's file on your computer.  I opened up Google Presentations and then simply dropped and dragged my video into the presentation.  Later I saw that Google Presentations has a direct Youtube link in order to paste your video (if it is from youtube) right into your presentation.  I chose Bill Nye the Science Guy "Life Cycles" Song.  It is to the tune of "Killing Me Softly".  I know my third graders love Bill Nye and I love him too.  I will never get sick of watching his videos.  He is very entertaining but also very educational.

Here is my google presentation:
https://docs.google.com/present/view?id=dd35h3gr_1fxdz6ghh

or

Bill Nye Life Cycles

I learned that a file can be converted for personal use.  You can convert it to audio and play it on an ipod.  You can convert it and play on your own computer.  You can convert it and use it within a presentation or lesson.  The converting possibilities are never ending.  It adds it to your personal library so in case the web is down you can still access it because it is now embedded into your own files or library.  I love it!  I must say though, I was concerned thinking that we are breaking some kind of piracy law.  I guess if people post it to the web then we have free range to post it to our own library.

I can use this easily in a classroom setting.  Like many schools, youtube is blocked.  Being able to convert it directly to your documents, presentation, or computer allows you to show the great videos that the world wide web has to offer to your students.  Being that you show them educational videos not just silly things like guys hitting their heads on the pavement after trying to do a cool skateboarding trick.  Just as we did it would be easy to come up with a theme.  For example, I could base my lessons around Dogs for a week.  My reading activities and lessons could involve dogs.  My math could have word problems about dogs and then to finish it off show them a converted video about dogs with jobs.  I could also find great educational videos that are normally blocked at school and play them within the classroom setting.

Easily the The ISTE NETS T Standard this one applies to is:


This Standard is effectively shown through benderconverter because we are literally "transferring" data onto our own computer for our own use.  We use our knowledge of file types and sizes to be able to put it into our own life and situations.  We have to be able to be fluent with converting the files in order to complete the task.

Although I feel like we are breaking the rules with this Standard while converting files:

As stated before, I did feel a bit uneasy now that I know how to use this because you can easily go to the website Pandora (a free radio station) and convert each song played and add it to your library.  Therefore, I definitely feel music is being stolen and rights are being mistreated.  Many videos on youtube have copyright laws and using a converter allows you to go around the laws and keep it for yourself without anyone ever knowing.  It is a tough situation.  I like it but I also feel uneasy about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment